- £35,000 - £40,000
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- Engineering / Manufacturing
- Excellent Company Benefits Scheme
Reporting to the General Manager to organise and motivate shop floor staff to ensure health and safety, quality and productivity are maintained at all times. Ensure all aspects of production activities are achieved so that all safety, quality, cost and delivery targets are met. Resolve minor issues and communicate concerns immediately.
Increase productivity and reduce production lead times by means of method improvement, good housekeeping and lean manufacturing techniques.
Responsible for co-ordinating all manufacturing activities on site.
General Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitor and organise shop floor activities to ensure maximum efficiency and profitability reporting any issues to the General Manager. Participate in work planning meetings and manage the resource to ensure that the schedule is achieved. Adapt quickly to changing situations and priorities ensuring the best use of available resource. Provide production cover for holidays or absence as well as when production volume is high.
- Work with the IFS System to ensure the production schedule is achieved against machining, assembly and packing promise dates including delivery to site. Ensure operatives use the bar-code system correctly and resolve any issues or errors immediately! Utilise the reporting features within the system to highlight production issues and take the required action to resolve these issues. Monitor non-production times and investigate irregularities. Ensure that all materials are available to all work stations and reduce handling times between each job.
- Ensure that all facilities, plant and tooling are available, in good working order and comply with policies and procedures. Update the systems available immediately to record any changes including status. Ensure all routine checks are completed at the correct frequency and are completed accurately.
- Support the General Manager in managing the shop floor skills matrix and identifying training requirements for greater flexibility. Support all aspects of production by assisting in the generation of SOP’s, cutting data and visual aids in order to train all operatives to the agreed standard.
- Actively promote a ‘Health and Safety’ culture within the shop as well as on all offsite activities. Participate in monthly safety audits and action any concerns. Ensure all works safety checks are completed as per frequency required. Monitor staff using machinery, FLT’s, cranes and pneumatic tools to ensure that any bad practise is eradicated. Ensure that all staff have had the required training before being allowed to operate any machinery or use tools.
- Ensure that all shop floor personnel work in a safe manner and fully comply with company Health Safety and Environmental Policy and that all are fully familiar with the on- site safety manual. Where compliance is not being adhered to, ensure that the appropriate action is taken. Ensure that all visitors abide by our health and safety rules whilst on site. Participate in monthly health and safety checks.
- In conjunction with the General Manager ensure the production work load is prioritised in order to achieve QCD targets and any specific customer/works priorities. Feedback concerns with capacity immediately so that alternative planning can be instigated.
- Actively lead and participate in continuous improvement activities targeted at safety, quality and productivity/utilisation opportunities and ensure improvements are embedded to maintain.
- Ensure work instructions within the job packs are being followed and that operatives have a clear understanding of the requirements. Weekly monitoring of fixings and hardware stocks and advise immediately when replenishment is required.
- Justify additional working hours required to achieve the production schedule or customer requirements. All additional hours to be identified by zone and sanctioned through the General Manager. Supporting short notice overtime will be expected.
- Promote, motivate, encourage and engage with subordinates in order to maintain a high level of moral and create a positive working environment. Display a positive and proactive demeanour at all times and lead by example.
- Ensure that discipline is maintained throughout the shop floor and that personnel work to their agreed terms and conditions as well as applicable job descriptions.
- Ensure that good housekeeping is maintained at all times and that zoned areas are kept clear of debris. All allocated items that are placed into zones must be put in squarely and not encroach walk or road ways. Resolve any issues within your control and report major concerns to the General Manager. Ensure that the completed products are placed into the correct despatch or packing zones.
- Promote and maintain good relations with customers, staff and works personnel.
- Ensure conformance with group policy concerning industrial relations.
Health, Safety & Environment
- Ensure that both you and your team work in a safe manner, respect the environment, maintain good housekeeping and hygiene throughout and proactively strive for best in class performance within the manufacturing sector.
- Ensure customers, contractors, visitors and other applicable third parties when on site comply with company health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Ensure you and your team observe local health, safety and environmental requirements when travelling or visiting other premises.
- Promote a safe working environment by directly challenging or reporting unsafe or environmentally damaging practices and hazardous working conditions.
- Be observant at all times and where applicable make suggestions on health, safety and environmental improvements that can or should be made.
- Support environmental sustainability initiatives within the company such as segregating waste and switching off electrical equipment where appropriate and not in use.
- To carry out any other duties not listed above as may reasonably be expected.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- Experience of following and adhering to work and quality procedures.
- Experience of complying with safety requirements
- Experience of working within a busy manufacturing environment
- Experience of lean principles and continuous improvement tools and techniques
- Experience of using an automated cross cut machine, pneumatic nail gun and overhead
crane is desirable but not essential.
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Excellent IT and problem solving skills
- Advantageous – previous experience of managing / leading a team
- Able to resolve conflicting situations and communicate at all levels
- Effective time management.
- Ability to work under pressure within time constraints
- Able to work independently and part of a team
- Self motivated with positive, innovative and motivated approach to their work
- Have a can do attitude
- Flexible approach to work activities including working offsite when required
- No specific qualifications required.
- Full UK driving licence
- Forklift truck and crane licence desirable but not essential
- Hazardous Goods training is an essential requirement, training will be provided